+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Updating TheLOSTmap and would appreciate input

Default Updating TheLOSTmap and would appreciate input

Hello Lostiies. Long time since we all used to visit site regularly. I'm finally updating my map of LOST at the site
    TheLOSTmap.blogspot.com
    with a much more accurate realistic map with the benefit of a rewatch (original maps were created as show progressed). It will take a couple of months before the Site is
    updated ( a lot of maps on the site), but hopefully it will provide a good companion for a re watch and reference as I'm memorializing each scene arranged through episodes.

If you feel strongly about a location position, please let me know so I can consider it. (Some locations will definitely change), I'm interested in criticism that will make the site easier for people to understand.
    This would include the main map, traveling maps, the site layout, or any other thing that you might like to see different or question.

Thanks for your input,

Mike
    Last edited by TheLOSTmap; 05-30-2019 at 01:12 PM. Reason: added time frame.

Hi!

I would like to add that I made a map as well inspired by yours and one Tumbr-user that did a thorough research. It was kind of a Google Earth type of map. Link here.

I posted it on Reddit so I would get some discussion on the placements. I'd like to do a version 2 someday, since I had a few spelling errors. Here is the disccusion.

Some things I have different is the following:

- Heart of the Island. I think it works the best symbolically by placing it inside the crater. We don't know if the crater is filled with jungle inside (which it very well could be like some in Hawaii). Close to the fuselage beach, with entrances through the mountains.
    - The Temple was hard to solve, but this was the best one I managed .I turned it upside down so it would fit into Rousseau's map. That would make it very far away from the lighthouse, which Jacob said that he sent Jack and Hurley as far away as possible. And it's closer to The Dark Territory, but it's not there entirely. (Unless The Dark Territory is a fairly large area on The Island, which you and the Tumblr user argued for). I could try to fit it in on the west side, but that would mean some adjustments. I was also thinking about putting it near the four toed statue.
    - The four toed statue is further south, so the small islet is not an islet but Taweret's head (which we saw landed in the water) in "Ab Aeterno".
    - The worst thing I did was place the pneumatic dump so high up. I wasn't thinking of the idea that DHARMA wouldn't have installed a pneumatic pipe all across the Island. It should be closer south.

Hello Choekaas

You have an interesting map. I don't think I've seen one quite like it. As far as your comments are concerned:

I. I never even considered putting anything, much less the Heart of the Island, in the volcano. I can only think of one time when it was mentioned, and that was when the school children were learning about volcano's in class. They also, for some reason I don't know why, used CGI to show a volcano.
    It didn't appear to me as if they were in a dome when the Heart of the Island was shown. I'm doing a complete re watch for my update, but I haven't got to season 6 yet, so I'll keep that in mind.

2. The placement of the Temple is difficult for quite a few reasons. I used Ben's map, as you are using, to locate it. You can see how i resolved his map here.I used this method to place it at the location posted on my map. I may change my Temple placement when I complete my re watch. As far as your method is concerned, I
    did try to rotate Ben's map to agree with your orientation , but I didn't think it represented Rousseau's map.

3. As far as the Location of the Taweret statue, it should be directly if front of the Orchid. In Lafluer (E05x08) Sawyer, Miles, Juliet, Faraday, and Charlotte flash (14)to before 1867. The group can see the rear of the colossus statue Taweret from their vantage point. Also in Live Together, Die Alone, they view the statue from the perspective of the Elizabeth. From that view, you can see the background of
    the mountains. I used both as these as part of my decision to place it where I did. It's an interesting concept that the small islet off the west coast would be Taweret's head, but I don't think his head is nearly large enough for an islet.

4. The only real clue to the location of the pneumatic tube dump is the position of the Sayid's smoke signal as Michael is leading a group into an ambush. The group see the smoke signal when they are near the tube dump. The tube dump is strange, because it's obviously in hostile territory. Why didn't the hostiles read the messages and learn of the Pearl and Swan?
    Last edited by TheLOSTmap; 06-16-2019 at 01:26 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by TheLOSTmap View Post
    Hello Choekaas

You have an interesting map. I don't think I've seen one quite like it. As far as your comments are concerned:

I. I never even considered putting anything, much less the Heart of the Island, in the volcano. I can only think of one time when it was mentioned, and that was when the school children were learning about volcano's in class. They also, for some reason I don't know why, used CGI to show a volcano.
    It didn't appear to me as if they were in a dome when the Heart of the Island was shown. I'm doing a complete re watch for my update, but I haven't got to season 6 yet, so I'll keep that in mind.
    The volcano isn't CGI, but the surrounding jungle and grass flats are. The volcano is the real Koko Head crater.
    When the characters went on a trek, they often passed this field. In “S.O.S.” Bernard is seen hauling volcanic rocks to make his sign. He says, “There's a lava field about a half mile inland that's loaded with them.” When they were filming those treks near the beach camp, they made sure to use the volcanic areas around the southern part of Oahu. China Walls Coastline served as the location for the Black Rock trek, the trek to the pillar of black smoke with Charlie and Sayid, as well as the trek to the radio tower. If you follow the coastline of this rocky area in Oahu, you get to Spitting Cave. This is the location of the ladder that goes down to Jacob’s cave from season 6. And just along the same coastline, you can find Lana’i Lookout, another volcanic area (the one you posted a picture from). When they shot the fight scene between Jack and MIB-Locke, they made sure to connect both Spitting Cave and Lana’i Lookout, so that the volcano is in the background (which it is on Lana’i Lookout). The production team made sure that the real life Koko Head crater was in the background of these shots.
    I think it's pretty clear that they modelled Rousseau's map from Oahu, and particularly the southern part. There's a lot of greens in the crater in Oahu, and you can take the Koko Head trail trip there as well. Here's a picture of the crater

In the series finale, we also see how the Heart of the Island is connected to volcanic activity, inspired by the real geology on the Hawaiian islands. The cave Locke ventured into in “Further Instructions” was one of these lava tubes as well, which they shot at the Ka’umana caves on the Big Island of Hawaii (not Oahu). And the Heart of the Island is full of stalagmites as well. Due to the proximity between the Heart of the Island and the midsection crash site (Jack came from the bamboo field in the pilot), I deduced that the location of this place was either inside or close to the volcanic crater seen in the background of these episodes. And considering that a volcano was originally going to be integral to the series finale, as revealed in Entertainment Weekly "The premise that developed over time was that the volcano was a mysterious place that forged the ticking, shape-shifting monster, the billowing black mass known as Smokey. By season 6, the writers had settled on the concept that the island was like a cork that bottled up all sorts of bad stuff, some volatile stew of spiritual dark matter stuff that would rob life of meaning and goodness if unleashed." I think it fits with having the Heart of the Island in the middle.

Considering that the Heart of the Island was supposed to be a volcano

2. The placement of the Temple is difficult for quite a few reasons. I used Ben's map, as you are using, to locate it. You can see how i resolved his map here.I used this method to place it at the location posted on my map. I may change my Temple placement when I complete my re watch. As far as your method is concerned, I
    did try to rotate Ben's map to agree with your orientation , but I didn't think it represented Rousseau's map.
    That's fair enough

3. As far as the Location of the Taweret statue, it should be directly if front of the Orchid. In Lafluer (E05x08) Sawyer, Miles, Juliet, Faraday, and Charlotte flash (14)to before 1867. The group can see the rear of the colossus statue Taweret from their vantage point. Also in Live Together, Die Alone, they view the statue from the perspective of the Elizabeth. From that view, you can see the background of
    the mountains. I used both as these as part of my decision to place it where I did. It's an interesting concept that the small islet off the west coast would be Taweret's head, but I don't think his head is nearly large enough for an islet.
    You're right. I was thinking about that when making the map, so I made the Orchid in the mountains, and behind it, but from my angle they would see parts of Taweret's head and not the backside. So yes, you're right. Directly back is a more correct one.

4. The only real clue to the location of the pneumatic tube dump is the position of the Sayid's smoke signal as Michael is leading a group into an ambush. The group see the smoke signal when they are near the tube dump. The tube dump is strange, because it's obviously in hostile territory. Why didn't the hostiles read the messages and learn of the Pearl and Swan?
    You're right. It is strange. I think I'll change up the pneumatic tube dump, because it would be very unlikely for DHARMA to build a pipe leading a day's journey north.

1.You’re right about the CGI of volcano Koko. It was the tall grass/jungle they added to the existing volcano, not the volcano itself. (Abandoned 02x06). I misremembered the scene. I didn’t understand at the time why they would show a volcano so prominently in that scene where Echo wants to lead the group inland to save time for Sawyer. My main problem was that Rousseau’s map didn’t show volcano Koko, only Diamond Head. For a while I even added the volcano Koko to my maps. I figured the map may not have shown it as it seemed to be a mid nineteenth century map and perhaps a volcano erupted subsequent to the map. I eventually dismissed this and removed volcano Koko from my map.
    As far as the Tailies traveling through the volcanic areas I agree with you and show it on my maps for season one and two.

I agree 100% they modeled Rousseau’s map after Oahu. The trick is finding the locations based on that. For me, it was a lot harder than it looks. It’s hard to know if the production team added something on purpose or was it an accident. Probably neither in some cases as I think they were more interested in a beautiful background then adhering to the confines of a map.

The agree that there are a lot of scenes that show volcanic rock, and they even show a volcano a few times. The problem I have is they never really talk about the volcano, other than what you mentioned about Bernard and the school children. In any of the travels, nobody mentions the volcano on the island from what I remember. .

What your saying makes a lot of sense and I wish they somehow let us know they where using the volcano to place the heart of the island. It would have been very cool and added to the story line of the show. I just couldn’t justify placing it there.

2.As far as the temple is concerned I’m still not quite sure where I’m going to place it. I’m leaning toward a location closer to your placement. Ben’s map sure makes it hard to locate. The more I look at it Ben’s map it seems that Ben’s map wasn’t made to agree with Rousseau’s map. Ben’s map looks more like the panoramic view we saw in season 3 episode one “ A tale of two cities”. If this were the case then the temple would be closer to your location

3. I’m just a little curious. Why did you place the tail section crash location where you have it?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLOSTmap View Post
    1.You’re right about the CGI of volcano Koko. It was the tall grass/jungle they added to the existing volcano, not the volcano itself. (Abandoned 02x06). I misremembered the scene. I didn’t understand at the time why they would show a volcano so prominently in that scene where Echo wants to lead the group inland to save time for Sawyer. My main problem was that Rousseau’s map didn’t show volcano Koko, only Diamond Head. For a while I even added the volcano Koko to my maps. I figured the map may not have shown it as it seemed to be a mid nineteenth century map and perhaps a volcano erupted subsequent to the map. I eventually dismissed this and removed volcano Koko from my map.
    As far as the Tailies traveling through the volcanic areas I agree with you and show it on my maps for season one and two.

I agree 100% they modeled Rousseau’s map after Oahu. The trick is finding the locations based on that. For me, it was a lot harder than it looks. It’s hard to know if the production team added something on purpose or was it an accident. Probably neither in some cases as I think they were more interested in a beautiful background then adhering to the confines of a map.

The agree that there are a lot of scenes that show volcanic rock, and they even show a volcano a few times. The problem I have is they never really talk about the volcano, other than what you mentioned about Bernard and the school children. In any of the travels, nobody mentions the volcano on the island from what I remember. .

What your saying makes a lot of sense and I wish they somehow let us know they where using the volcano to place the heart of the island. It would have been very cool and added to the story line of the show. I just couldn’t justify placing it there.
    I can see that. And that is why it's fun to make Lost maps in general with out own interpretations of the locations

2.As far as the temple is concerned I’m still not quite sure where I’m going to place it. I’m leaning toward a location closer to your placement. Ben’s map sure makes it hard to locate. The more I look at it Ben’s map it seems that Ben’s map wasn’t made to agree with Rousseau’s map. Ben’s map looks more like the panoramic view we saw in season 3 episode one “ A tale of two cities”. If this were the case then the temple would be closer to your location
    Absolutely. The Temple map and the Pascal flats/radio tower map in "Through the Looking Glass" might've been the biggest headscratchers on the show in my opinion.

Exactly. Another thing is how well do we interpret Jacob's dialogue to Hurley about him getting Jack and Hurley as far away as possible from the Temple.

3. I’m just a little curious. Why did you place the tail section crash location where you have it?
    I tried as much as possible to combine a lot of scenes both you and The Island Map on Tumblr made to figure out your locations, since I find both your maps to be the best. He made the flight path this way, which I modelled after, but I didn't put the barracks as high up north as he did. It's kind of in-between his placement and yours. So the view is around two o'clock facing south-west.

Hey Choekass, this is an interesting article that answers our question of why they didn't use the volcano on Oahu in the finale. Basically it was the cost.

+ Reply to Thread